Sunday, November 8, 2009

White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Gaah, I haven't updated this in a while! I was sick for over a week and had to stay out of the kitchen because I didn't want to contaminate people with my baking. Getting people sick is not my intention in my plan to rule the world someday with my baking, hahaha. Anyway, I used to not be a fan of oatmeal cookies when I was little. Maybe I had a bad experience with it or something. It's probably because all the oatmeal cookies I had ever eaten before I started making these had raisins in them. Raisins...ew. I don't like them. I don't think I have ever been fond of them so whenever I did eat an oatmeal cookie, I'd always pick them out, or try too at least.

The great thing with this recipe is that you don't have ot stick with white chocolate or cranberries. You can put anything you want in them really! I just really like the combination, but I've tried variations with walnuts, semi-sweet chocolate chips, m&m's (those were amazing), and any dried fruit that you like.

You'll notice that there's a ton of oatmeal in this recipe (3 cups) and not a lot of flour. I use old fashioned rolled oats instead of the quick cooking ones because I like the texture it gives, and I think it keeps the cookie softer than quick cooking oatmeal. So yes, if you don't like oatmeal, you'll definitely want to pass on this cookie.





White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup white chocolate

1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and light brown sugar until smooth.
3. Add the egg and the vanilla extract and combine with the butter and sugar.
4. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt until it is thoroughly incorporated butter mixture.
5. Add the oatmeal, dried cranberries, and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until everything is combined.
6. Line two baking sheets with either parchment paper or aluminum foil. If you're using foil, make sure to use cooking spray because cookies stuck on aluminum foil are no bueno.
7. I like to make these cookies bigger than I normally make my cookies so I take a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure the batter. Place them a few inches apart from eachother and before putting them in the oven, use the palm of your hand to flatten them out a bit.
8. Bake for about 18 minutes (I start checking to see if they're done at about 12 minutes just to make sure I don't overcook them).
9. Remove from oven and let cookies cool.

I usually get about 18 cookies from each batch, and they're pretty big cookies. Remember, you don't have to use just white chocolate and dried cranberries! Use whatever you like or whatever you have. I think that's why I love making cookies, you really can make it your own by adding whatever you like.

I didn't burn my fingers baking these cookie this time, but I did end up burning my finger on the hair straightener the next morning. Fail.

Love,
Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment